Relive Qonic Talks 2024

For those who missed the Qonic Talks 2024 events in London, Ghent, Utrecht, or online on LinkedIn, you can catch up on our discussion about the future of the AEC industry here.

We began with the launch and detailed demonstration of Qonic, our innovative software platform designed for the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry. We showcased the platform’s capabilities and features, highlighting Qonic’s core strengths: performance, user-friendly interface, and cloud-based collaboration.

We presented five key use cases and workflows for Qonic:

1. Enrich and upscale design intent models
  2. Create 3D models with a higher level of development
  3. Obtain accurate model quantities
  4. Collaborate with multiple people on BIM models
  5. Make BIM accessible across all stakeholders

Following the product demo, we outlined the future of a unified, comprehensive AEC modeling environment.

We invite you to continue the discussion and connect with your peers to share your thoughts and insights here.

1 Like

Below are some of the questions that were asked during the Q&A.

• Q: can I import bSDD-compliant (json) dictionaries? (generated from excel-template with standard bsDD converter)
    A: Today you can import classification systems from bSDD. It’s also possible to add custom properties, but not yet from bSDD. We are working on import of properties from bsDD, and it will be available soon.
  • Q: Can each layer of material in the models be quantified?
    A: Yes, wall layers can individually be manipulated and quantified.
  • Q: Can we also start without an IFC file?
    A: Today we focus on the workflow to enrich/upscale an existing IFC file, so you always start from a conceptual design model, and we provide the tools to further detail it. We are also working on conceptual ‘creation’ tools.
  • Q: I am curious to see the API or any kind of developer functionalities that are available.
    A: API’s are being developed today! We are planning to start with model data API’s to read and write data (properties, materials, …).
  • Q: Can I make a cost estimation?
    A: It’s possible to generate quantity-take-offs (based on classification codes and their corresponding measure codes).
  • Q: Have you considered a cloud based system where the IFC info can be transferred to a tool for HVAC analysis and displayed back in Qonic? A BIM-HVAC tool.
    A: The goal effectively is that you will be able to read in data from Qonic, using it for instance in an external analysis tool and then bring the result back into Qonic. We’ve started our API developments just recently, but surely on our roadmap.
  • Q: Can I make a different Classification to the wall and Lintel
    A: Yes, they can be classified (and quantified) separately.
  • Q: So this is browser-based… right? Do you have memory-related upper limits in relation to model size?
    A: In the browser, there is a memory limit of 4GB, but since we use streaming this is sufficient for viewing/querying very large models. The desktop client can be used for very heavy modelling.

Check out the posts about our London and Ghent events for more questions and answers!